PhD: 2013-2017, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
MSc: 2011-2013, Simon Fraser University (SFU)
BSc: 2007-2011, Sharif University of Technology
Office: 4th floor, 4111-25
Department of Computer Science, UIUC
201 N Goodwin Ave Urbana, IL, USA 61801
Email: shossen2 (you-know-the-sign!) [dot] illinois [dot] edu
Research interests: Systems and Networking
- Multimedia Systems (3D Games, 3D Graphics, 360 Videos, VR/AR)
- Mobile Systems, Distributed Systems, Health and Medical CPS, IoT, SDN, Cloudlets
Selected Academic Services:
- TPC member (+ discussion lead/meta-reviewer), ACM Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys '17)
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (IEEE TMM)
- Reviewer, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (IEEE ICME '15, '16, '17)
- Reviewer, IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine (IEEE CEMAG)
- Reviewer, Elsevier Computer Networks (COMNET)
- Reviewer, ACM Computer-Human Interaction (CHI '16)
- Reviewer, ACM Virtual Reality Software and Technology (ACM VRST '16)
- Conference Scriber, ACM Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys '15)
- Conference Scriber, ACM Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (ACM NOSSDAV '15)
- TPC member, IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (CICN '14)
- TPC member, IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT '14)
- Reviewer, ACM SIGCOMM '14
- Reviewer, ACM/IEEE Network and Systems Support for Games (ACM/IEEE NetGames '14)
- Reviewer, ACM Mobile Video Delivery (ACM MoVid '13)
- Session Chair, ACM Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys '12)
- Reviewer, ACM/Springer's Journal of Real-Time Image Processing
- Reviewer, Springer Multimedia Systems Journal (MMSJ)
Dr. Mohammad Hosseini received his PhD in Computer Science from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), MSc in Computer Science from Simon Fraser University (in beautiful Vancouver!), and BSc in Computer Engineering from Sharif University of Technology.
Dr. Hosseini is a professional member of IEEE, ACM, and ACM Special Interest Group in Multimedia (ACM SIGMM). He is the author and co-author of more than 30 scientific publications in various areas within systems and networking domain, where he served as a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member and reviewer for major conferences and journals, specially in the multimedia systems area. Dr. Hosseini was a TPC member, reviewer, discussion lead, and session chair for the "Adapting to Mobility" session in the ACM Multimedia Systems conference series (MMSys '12 - MMSys '17). He was a TPC member in the IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies and IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks series. He was a reviewer for the IEEE Transactions of Multimedia (IEEE TMM), IEEE ICME 2014 to 2017, guest reviewer for ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal in 2012 and 2013, guest reviewer for ACM/Springer's Journal of Real-Time Image Processing in 2013, reviewer for ACM SIGCOMM '14, ACM MoVid '13, and ACM/IEEE NetGames '12, and also served as a general chair assistant in the IEEE ICNP '11.
Dr. Hosseini was a CS Graduate Ambassador during the graduate recruiting seasons, and an active mentor for Promoting Undergraduate Research in Engineering (PURE) at UIUC. He was elected by the graduate students as the steward of the School of Computing Science for the Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU). He is a reciepent of the Entrance Research Scholarship, the Graduate Fellowship Award, the Ebco Eppich Graduate Scholarship, the Travel & Research Award, and multiple Conference Travel Awards from the Department of Computer Science and Dean of Graduate Studies, and received the Professional Development Grant from the Graduate Student Society. He was offered the 2013 Four-Year-Fellowship (FYF) scholarship from University of British Columbia (UBC).
During his studies, Hosseini was a recipient of multiple ACM SIGMM Student Travel Awards from the ACM Multimedia and ACM Multimedia Systems conferences. He was selected as a finalist, one of the top 10 amongst 490 participants worldwide competing for the prestigious Lockheed Martin's Innovate the Future challenge. He was a finalist in Illinois Tech Challenge in 2015, and was a winner of Qualcomm's Intern Hackathon in 2014. Dr. Hosseini was a winner of the prestigious 2017 IEEE Communication Society (IEEE ComSoc) Competition Award.