Professor & Director of Grad Program
Department of Computer
University of Illinois,
- 3228 Siebel Center,
201 N. Goodwin Ave,
- 217-265-0705 (office), 217-265-4035 (fax)
- Support staff: Elaine Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-333-6249), 3229 Siebel
Research Interests and Publications
- theoretical computer science
- design and analysis of
- discrete and combinatorial
- approximation algorithms
- mathematical programming
- algorithmic applications
Most of my papers and a few talks are available online.
- Alina Ene: PhD, July 2013. Postdoc at Princeton → Assistant Professor, Univ. of Warwick
- Ali Vakilian: MS, July 2013. MIT PhD student
- Ben Moseley: PhD, July 2012. Research Assistant Professor at TTI Chicago → Assistant Professor in CS, Washington University, St. Louis
- Sungjin Im: PhD, June 2012. Postdoc at Duke → Assistant Professor in EECS, UC Merced
- Nitish Korula: PhD, July 2010. Google Research
- Thapanapong Rukkanchanunt: senior thesis, Fall 2011.
- Matthew Gregory: senior thesis, Spring 2009. Microsoft
- Kyle Fox: senior thesis, Spring 2008. UIUC PhD student → Posdoc at ICERM, Brown → Postdoc at Duke
- Summer interns at Bell Labs: Rajat Bhattacharjee, Amit Chakrabarti, Marcelo Mydlarz (along with Bruce Shepherd), An Zhu
Conference/workshop program committees and organization:
Current and future: ☺ ☺ ☺
Past: BIRS Workshop on Approximation 2014, SODA 2014 (PC Chair), APPROX 2013, IPCO 2013, SODA 2012, BIRS Approx. Workshop 2011
APPROX 2010, COCOON 2010, ISMP 2009, NetCod 2009, ITW 2008, FAW 2008, ISAAC 2007, STOC 2007, APPROX 2007,
APPROX 2005 (PC Chair)
FSTTCS 2004, APPROX 2004, FOCS 2003, APPROX 2003.
Mathematics of Operations Research. March 2013 -- .
Mathematical Programming Ser A. Jan 2009 -- .
Journal of Computer System Sciences (JCSS). Nov 2005 -- March 2013.
Area Editor: Springer Encyclopedia on Algorithms - completed.
Guest co-editor for Algorithmica special issue
on selected papers from APPROX/RANDOM 2005 - completed.
Guest co-editor for JCSS special issue on
selected papers from FOCS 2003 - completed